Red Ribbon Club is a movement started by the Government of India in schools and colleges through which, students will spread awareness over HIV / AIDS. Establishment of Red Ribbon Clubs was an important initiative undertaken by the Government of India to spread awareness about HIV/AIDS and associated myths among the youth and empower them as per educators. It envisages to instil charity mind among all the students to extend their able help towards developing healthy life styles, donating blood to all the needy by promotion of Regular voluntary blood donation. The Red Ribbon Club in Jairams Arts and Science College came into effect in 2012.
• Educate youth with correct, concise and adequate information and heighten their level of awareness about HIV AIDS, STI and other related issues (thus eliminate myths and misconceptions).
• Enable youth to identify and understand situations of exploitation and abuse.
• Sensitize the youth regarding care and support needs of people affected with HIV • Sensitize the youth regarding care and support needs of people affected with HIV AIDS and instill in them the spirit to reduce the stigma and discrimination against them.
• Create and train among the youth a cadre of peer educators for spreading awareness about HIV-AIDS and its prevention in the community.
RED RIBBON CLUB OFFICER
Dr. Vijayakumar P M.Sc., M.Phil., B.Ed., Ph.D., Assistant Professor & Head of Chemistry(Post Graduate)
• Red like Love, as a symbol of passion and tolerance for those affected.
• Red like Blood, representing the pain caused by many people who have of AIDS.
• Red like the anger about the helplessness about which we are facing for a disease for which there is still no cure.
• Red is a sign of warning not to carelessly ignore one of the biggest problems of our time.
RED RIBBON SYMBOL
The red ribbon is a symbol for both drug prevention and for the fight against AIDS. The Red Ribbon foundation is an organization founded in 1993 whose main purpose is the education about prevention of the Human Immunodeficiency Virus or HIV, Acquired Deficiency Syndrome Related Complex, ARC and AIDS.